Our History


The history of Latimer Hinks Solicitors is one of determination and hard work. Established in Darlington in 1892 the firm originally practised from premises on High Row and in 1905 moved to premises in Priestgate. Following is a timeline of selected events that you may find interesting.

Our History

1892

Firm established by J.F. Latimer practising from premises on High Row, Darlington

c1905

Moved to No. 8 Priestgate taking over the neighbouring fish shop and the old Co-op confectionary, as well as taking up space in the King’s Head Hotel.

1927

Charles Hinks joined partnership, which was re-named J F Latimer & Hinks

1936

Fred Burton joined the Firm as an office boy, moving on to become secretary to Charles Hinks.

1937

Death of J.F. Latimer aged 65 http://dre.durham.gov.uk

1973

Amalgamation with Wilkes, Marsham & Little. The Firm changes its name to Latimer Hinks Marsham & Little and takes over No.7 Priestgate

1976

Anne Elliott becomes the Firm's first female solicitor.

1978

Anne Elliott becomes the Firm's first female partner.

c1988

The Firm changes its name to Latimer Hinks Solicitors and is based at 5-8 Priestgate

Shortlisted for the NE Property Law Awards

2017

Latimer Hinks is shortlisted for the inaugural North East Property Law Awards