Elizabeth Armstrong (TEP)
Managing Director & Solicitor, Private Client, Farms & Estates
Having completed a Degree in Russian and German at the University of Durham, Elizabeth subsequently attained her legal qualifications at the College of Law, York, qualifying as a solicitor in 1998. Throughout her legal career, Elizabeth has worked in private practice and from 2003 to 2008 lectured for the Open University’s Law Degree, specialising in Land Law, Equity and Trusts, covering all aspects of “ownership” and “trusteeship”. Elizabeth joined Latimer Hinks in 2005 becoming a Partner in 2012, a Director in 2014 and Managing Director in 2020.
Areas of practice:
With a formidable knowledge in estate, wealth and tax planning, Elizabeth often acts in complex matters and for high-net-worth individuals, Trusts and estates, often working closely with other professionals such as accountants, financial advisors, land agents/valuers and specialist lawyers. Elizabeth currently heads the company’s Trust Department and leads the Private Client Team alongside fellow Director Natalie Palmer.
She regularly advises farming and business clients in relation to all areas of private client work.
Due to her experience and specialisation, Elizabeth is often appointed in her professional capacity as a Trustee, Executor and Attorney.
Elizabeth is a fully accredited member of STEP (The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) and in 2009, as part of the Chartered Tax Adviser examinations, received the Avery Jones Medal for the highest mark in the application and interaction of taxes paper.
- Advising a high net worth family in relation to succession planning in respect of their family business, preparing Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney and also considering Trusts and gifts
- Advising a family in receipt of a large inheritance in relation to Deed of Variation to reduce their own exposure to Inheritance Tax
- Making an emergency application for Probate in a taxable estate and undertaking contemporaneous planning to reduce the immediate charge for Inheritance Tax
- Advising a farming family in relation to structuring their affairs to maximise valuable reliefs
- Acting in the administration of high net worth estate including business assets, lifetime gifts and a number of Trusts
- Restructuring various family Trusts and dealing with Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax issues arising
- Dealing with a complex Inheritance Tax Return reporting on ten-year anniversary and exit from a Trust holding various assets, some attracting tax relief and some not
- Securing urgent Grant of Probate in order to protect value of volatile estate assets