Gillian Ibbotson (TEP, FALA)
Director & Solicitor, Private Client, Head of Farms & Estates
Gillian trained with Latimer Hinks, taking up a position in our Private Client Team on qualification in 2008. She became a Director and Head of the Farms & Estates Team in January 2023. Gillian is one of the few Solicitors in the country to be both a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and a Fellow of The Agricultural Law Association. She is also a fully accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) and a Dementia Friend.
Areas of practice:
Gillian acts for a diverse range of clients including private individuals, tenant farmers, landowners, trustees and business owners.
Gillian has a special interest in the agricultural side of Private Client work, heading up our Farms & Estates Team. She specialises in Wills, trusts, complex estates, succession/growth planning for clients with agricultural/business assets, and tax/asset protection planning during lifetime or on death.
Experienced in relation to farming partnerships, Gillian is also able to assist in relation to partnership agreements, be that the preparation of a new agreement, advising on current/ongoing arrangements, or the dissolution of the business.
- Advising on the dissolution of a farming partnership, making provision to enable the continuing farmer to maintain his business while protecting her client’s position and share of the land and business
- Tax planning for a landowner who had been approached in relation to a proposed Option Agreement, enabling him to ring-fence and protect his current, valuable, tax reliefs
- Preparing a Deed of Variation in an intestate estate to divide farmland as between the intended beneficiaries as desired whilst protecting the position of the surviving spouse and that of the non-farming children
- Preparing a Partnership Agreement to formalise the arrangement agreed as between a family farming business
- Preparing Wills for farming clients, managing the wants, needs and expectations of various family members to achieve a positive result for the family and business as a whole